Redback Networks Inc. Information for VU#784540
BGP implementations do not adequately handle malformed BGP OPEN and UPDATE messages
- Vendor Information Help Date Notified: 07 May 2004
- Statement Date:
- Date Updated: 21 Jun 2004
1. SmartEdge family of products is not vulnerable.
2. SMS Family of products is vulnerable in one case.
Mitigation: While there is no way a network operator can completely defend against various vulnerabilities and hacker attacks, Redback Networks products already implement many mechanisms to guard against such attacks.
SMS has the following features, which make the system more secure:
- MD5 authentication for BGP
- IP source address validation
The vendor has not provided us with any further information regarding this vulnerability.
The CERT/CC has no additional comments at this time.
If you have feedback, comments, or additional information about this vulnerability, please send us email.